Get Intimate with your Narrator

 


I’ve written about the process of making an audiobook before. I even halfway knew what I was talking about. But I am in the process of producing one for my most beloved novel, Radar Love, and the way it's being made has been greatly refined on my end.

Choosing a narrator was no small feat, in this case. My first impulse was to record this one on my own. I am of the opinion that no one can read a book quite like the author. But character acting is something else entirely.

The selection was a crucial decision on my part, as it’s the first of a five-novel series, with the second already published, and the third nearly written. And, as I said, it’s my most important book, for various reasons. It’s my most popular, the one I feel most strongly about, and it has a lot of special meaning to me.

I had about twenty narrators to choose from, and none of them were quite right. Some, in fact, were terrible. Then I met Renee. I call her Renee because I *think* that is her name. Or will be her pseudonym. Neither of us are sure, at this point. I mean, sure she knows what her real name is. That’s not the point.

Renee nailed the audition. Although this is her first production, she is deadly serious about it. Not only that, but she is a huge fan of the work in question. So much so that she has inspired me to take my books seriously again. She wants to do the entire series, complete with a relaunch of the titles. Her passion is now feeding my own.

I’ve edited the text probably eight times since then, and licensed some amazing photography of a gorgeous model named VioletEyes by photographer Jamie Mahon. Now Renee and I are polishing her production for an upcoming release. I couldn’t be happier. I once again feel like I did when I first published, except everything is at a whole new level of quality.

Not only that, but this production has a decidedly different feel than any audiobook I’ve worked on before.

Previously, I sent a narrator a script, then waited until they were finished. I then suggested a few changes, they were made, and we published. Despite my spotty quality control in a few places, the releases ranged from good to great. This time, Renee’s enthusiasm demanded I not play a passive role in the production, and I am eternally grateful for that.

I have never had a lot of contact with my narrators, other than agreeing on terms, and delivering a script. Now it’s nightly back-and-forth sessions, collaborating, agonizing, and fine-tuning. The results thus far are more than worth it. Her readings have even shaped my edits, leading to a few small but important changes. 

For instance, I found a much better, more obvious chapter title that I had somehow never considered before. She asked for, and received, a new dedication for the book, which is far more poignant than it was previously. 

My point is, I guess, that if at all possible, take an active role in your audiobook productions. Don’t wait for the final product, but dive in with the first chapter and start making improvements early on. Make sure your narrator is not only stellar, but that they are serious about the project, and want to work actively with you on it. The process of refining and fine-tuning the production can result in improvements across the board, and even affect your eBook and print editions.

The results may astound you.

Comments

People Actually Read This Stuff