Mail Chimp

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Penultimate Hustle: L.A. - Chapter 16

Chapter 16 – Demo

The following day, Brad trained the girls to use the new database, and Leo pulled Chris and Janique aside.
“Can I show you guys something?”
“Of course,” Chris said.
Leo led them to the kitchen, where four VCRs sat on the table, surrounded by four monitors, facing outward. He turned everything on and pressed play, and the monitor they could see was filled with the writhing bodies of the four girls, naked on a mattress.
“Nice,” Janique said. “Are you getting into producing and directing, now?”
“Walk around the table...” Leo told her.
They did, and were treated to four different views of the action. It was compelling, and they spent several minutes in silence, taking in the different viewpoints.
Finally, Janique said, “This is amazing, Leo! You're a genius.”
“I know. You tell me that every day. But seriously, it's just an idea I had. Anyone could have done it.”
“But you're the one who did. This could change film-making.”
“It's more of an interactive art piece. I don't think it's patent-worthy.
“You could make a four-sided monitor,” Chris said.
“Five,” Janique added. “There could be a top-down viewpoint.”
“Honestly, it's not really practical right now. It only works well because you have pro VTRs that can sync with each other.”
“But in the future, with digital?”
“In theory, you could run four or five video streams off of one computer,” Leo said.
“Then the thing to do is patent it now, both the monitor and the process. I'll have Melvin get us a patent attorney to come in and work on the specifics with you. Does fifteen percent of all future derived profits sound okay?”
“Sure. To be honest, I'm happy making the money I am now. Anything more in bonus. Not to mention, I'd love to see my ideas in production someday. But the monitor is no big deal. It's just a rearrangement of existing components. The biggest part of it would be the video card to run it.”
“Could you design it,” Chris asked?
“Brad can. That's his forte. I'd mainly write the software that drives it all. But between the two of us, it should be pretty, uh, bad-ass.”
“I agree that it may not be marketable, but it is really cool. How many people invent new TVs or video paradigms?” Janique said.
“I have other ideas. A curved monitor being one. They're just wildly impractical with today's technology.”
“A curved monitor?”
“Okay, you can't stick your face by a TV set, now. X-rays, you know. Plus the glass tube would need a big redesign, which messes with the electron guns... But, anyway, when we get away from cathode ray tubes, a curved monitor for gaming would mean you could almost stick your head inside of it, and it would extend beyond your peripheral vision. That imparts a distinctive feeling of motion.”
“I think I know what you mean? Keep me updated on the potential, there. In the meantime, how about this? We build two prototypes, one for you, and one for me?”
“That would be incredible.”
“And to gauge market interest, we'll display it at the Adult Video Awards convention in Las Vegas next year.”
“Fun,” Leo said.
“How long is the footage?” Chris asked.
“Almost an hour. They lost track of time. Um, so did I.”
“Heh. You just made us sixty thousand dollars, too.”
“Not only that,” Janique interjected. “But you've shown me the path to better film-making. We can incorporate this technique now, when we film. But, on one condition. Finish my BBS before you start designing electronics. And don't neglect the games!”
“That's two conditions. But, deal.” Leo said. “I'm also working on a script.”
“What's it called?”
“Star Whores.”
“Love it,” Janique said.